Fire ravages home in Bashaw

Two people are without a home in Bashaw following a fire caused in part by a storm

BY JORDIE DWYER AND JEFFREY HEYDEN-KAYE BASHAW STAR

The effects of a storm last week has a pair essentially homeless.

Ian Hansen and Kim March, along with three dogs and a cat, managed to escape after a blaze erupted in their home in the 4600 block of 50 Street in Bashaw.

In speaking with Bashaw Star, Ian said he was watching TV and Kim was taking a nap when he heard a loud bang. Upon inspection of the back porch, he saw a tree bending against a power line under the strength of the wind.

That tree eventually came down, the results of which Ian believes caused the rest of the issues in the home. Then he says he heard a loud bang from the breaker.

“Then all I could hear was a loud humming,” said Ian.

Fire started to engulf the breaker and then started making its way to the walls. In an effort to quell the flames, Ian says he started throwing water bottles on the breaker, an act, he says, which was quite risky. The flames would reduce for a bit, but then would start up again.

It turns out the power was still flowing to the home and there was no way to put out the flames. The Bashaw Fire Department (BFD) didn’t have much choice except to close the door and wait till the power could be turned off.

Ian says by closing the door, it took away the oxygen, which feeds the fire.

A contingent of 15 members of the BFD were called to the scene at 8:30 p.m. Crews were able to eventually extinguish the flames, but the entire interior of the structure was destroyed.

In speaking with the fire department, Ian says throwing water on the running electricity could have caused him an electrical shock. He says he feels lucky there wasn’t anything else that happened. “It was scary,” said Ian.

He added thanks go out to the department and EMS for helping ensure they were safe and received oxygen. The damage has basically destroyed the home.

“On the outside it looks kind of OK, but when you open it up…it’s not good,” explained Ian.

According to Deputy Fire Chief Jordan Lee, the fire was created by the aftereffects of the large thunderstorm and strong winds that came through Bashaw a short time earlier.

“The cause is suspected to be electrical due to the strong wind that blew down a few trees in town. One of those trees landed on a power line to the house,” Lee said.

“The house had lots of smoke damage and crews had to ventilate through all of the windows as well as the roof.”

Because of the location of the home, the fire department had assistance from the Bashaw RCMP in closing down one block in order to battle the blaze. The scene was wrapped up and crews headed back by 11:30 p.m.

Currently the couple and their pets are living in their 19-foot trailer in the yard. Due to being laid off in the winter, Ian had to make some tough decisions. “I had a choice. Do I pay my house insurance or do I pay my mortgage?”

He opted for the mortgage but is left without a way to pay for the damage. Community support has been strong with folks helping out where they can.

A GoFundMe page — www.gofundme.com/kim-ian-bashaw-house-fire-fund — has been started for the couple with a goal of raising $50,000. At press time over $1,300 had been raised.

A trust fund at Servus Credit Union has been put in place as well and folks are pulling together to get the pair pet food and other much needed supplies.

Just Posted

WATCH: The public gets a taste of robotics

Lacombe students show off their skills in Red Deer

Details of Mr. Big sting operation discussed in Castor-area triple homicides

Klaus confesses to arranging murders, says Frank pulled the trigger

Red Deer Royals see over 1,000 letters of support for funding

MP Blaine Calkins to make an appeal to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau

Man who stopped impaired school bus driver honoured

Red Deer’s Kurt Stenberg receives Lieutenant Governor of Alberta’s Award for Bravery

Missing Ontario man may be headed to Red Deer

Police are searching for Tyler Haney, who may be in the area to find work

WATCH: Lacombe voters eager to get to the polls

Lacombe voters are out today to decide who will represent their interests in the community

Dead boy’s father posts Facebook response after Appeal Court upholds conviction

David, Collet Stephan were found guilty in their son Ezekiel’s 2012 death from bacterial meningitis

Bank of Canada cautious of future rate hikes

The Bank of Canada remains cautious on future rate hikes due to low- inflation risk

London theatre received allegations against Kevin Spacey

The theatre said Thursday the 20 allegations deal with incidents between 1995 and 2013.

Three-car pile-up on Northstar Drive and 58th Street

No injuries reported at Thursday afternoon incident

Da Vinci’s Christ painting sells for record $450M

The painting, “Salvator Mundi,” Latin for “Savior of the World,” is one a few paintings by Leonardo known to exist

Loblaws closing 22 stores, launching home delivery ahead of ‘difficult year’

“We are excited about our future. But…we expect 2018 will be a difficult year,” said Galen G. Weston, Loblaw CEO.

Ban moves ahead in B.C. against same real estate agent for buyer and seller

New real estate consumer protection rules to take effect in March

Indigenous youth deaths preventable, B.C. coroner says

Trauma, mental illness, drugs and alcohol major factors

Most Read