Sylvan Star Cheese Farm in Sylvan Lake offers a variety of delicious cheeses, each with its own old world flare. Recipes straight from the Gouda region of Holland are lovingly prepared by Art Snoek, a sixth-generation cheese maker. This award winning cheese is now enjoyed all across Alberta and delivers a little taste of Europe with every bite.
Gouda has been enjoyed as a popular table cheese and as a delicious ingredient in soups, sandwiches and cherished family recipes for 900 years. Try out these two recipe ideas straight from Art Snoek’s family cookbook next time your enjoying some delicious Sylvan Star cheese.
CHEESY MASHED POTATOES
This delicious side dish is the perfect addition to your next special occasion dinner or a simple weekday meal. Dress it up with fresh herbs or keep it simple, either way it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser!
2 pounds potatoes, peeled and chopped into small pieces
1 cup grated mild gouda cheese
1/2 cup milk
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chopped potatoes in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring the water to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook the potatoes until they are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain the water and return potatoes to the pot.
- Add the butter and mash potatoes until they’re smooth and creamy.
- Add the grated gouda cheese to the pot and stir until it’s melted and evenly distributed throughout the mashed potatoes.
- Add milk and continue to stir until the mashed potatoes are smooth and creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve hot and enjoy your delicious cheesy mashed potatoes!
CHEESY LEEKS WITH POTATOES AND MEATBALLS
An excellent side dish but certainly capable of holding its own as the main course, this next recipe could very easily be our new favourite comfort food!
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 large leeks, sliced
1 cup grated Gouda cheese
1 pound ground beef
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the cubed potatoes and cook until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the ground beef in a mixing bowl. Add garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, and mix well. Form the mixture into small meatballs.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook until browned on all sides and cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the meatballs cook, place the sliced leeks in a separate pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook the leeks until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Drain leeks and return to the pot. Add the grated Gouda cheese and stir until it’s melted and evenly distributed throughout the leeks.
- Serve the cheesy leeks alongside the boiled potatoes and meatballs. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and enjoy!
For something a little lighter – perfect with picnic season around the corner – Art suggests trying a medium gouda with whole-grain mustard on a sandwich of your choice for an easy, healthy lunch idea!
You can also visit the farm store in person at 39008 Range Road 10, just off of Hwy 11A to the east of Sylvan Lake. The store is open Monday to Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and you can find their delicious cheeses at these locations around Alberta or online here.
Read More about Art and Jennifer Snoek’s cheese-making adventures: