This month, Alberta RCMP is providing businesses with tips for preventing break and enters with a focus on ATM thefts. Although there has not been a significant increase or decrease of ATM thefts, the Alberta RCMP would like to see the numbers decrease by next year.
Quick facts (2019 Alberta RCMP jurisdiction):
· There were over 5,500 break and enters to businesses last year.
· The three highest months for break and enters to businesses were: August (over 600), September (almost 550) and July (over 500).
· There were close to 40 ATM thefts and over 40 ATM theft attempts last year.
· Last September there were six ATM thefts and six ATM theft attempts.
· The three highest months for ATM thefts occurred between September and November.
So far in 2020, from January to July, there have been over 2,800 break and enters to businesses.
Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) can help prevent break and enters, and it can also help to reduce ATM thefts. Here are some tips to consider if you have an ATM in your business:
· Keep the ATM in an area of away from the front of the store (to deter vehicle ramming), but in an area where staff can see all activity around it.
· Ensure ATM is fastened to make it more difficult to remove.
· Have appropriate signage around the ATM stating that it is being monitored by video surveillance.
· Ensure ATM has a GPS tracking device and familiarize yourself with the system.
· Install an alarm system on the ATM.
· Install bollards in front of business to prevent vehicle ramming.
For the month of September, Alberta RCMP will be using #SaferBusiness to provide more information about how to keep businesses and ATMs safe.
Check out our Facebook (@RCMPinAlberta) and Twitter (@RCMPAlberta) feeds for additional safety tips
If you see something suspicious, report it to your local police service. If you see a crime in progress, call 911. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the “P3 Tips” app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.