Blackfalds Town Council and administration are inviting the public to their Budget Open House on Nov. 29th from 5 – 6:45 p.m. at the Civic Cultural Centre (5018 Waghorn St.) prior to the annual Light Up Blackfalds event at 7:00 p.m.. Councillors and staff will be on hand to answer any questions and solicit suggestions.
For the ninth year in a row, Blackfalds has displayed above provincial average growth with an annual population increase of 4.27 percent in 2017, surpassing Alberta’s average of 1.51 percent. This significant growth presents a challenge for the new Council who were tasked with prioritizing expenditures at last weekend’s budget deliberations. As a result, the Town is looking to increase taxes by only 1.1 percent and is excited to move forward on several large-scale capital projects which include:
• Twinning the Multi-Plex Arena architectural design and construction plans ($750K)
• Phase 2 of solar integration at the Civic and Culture Centre ($160K)
• New outdoor rink at Pine Crecent ($450K)
• New playground at Valley Crescent ($125K)
• Moving old skateboard park to the East side of town ($40K)
The budget will be finalized before December 31.