As classes resume for a new school year Blackfalds RCMP are asking motorists to pay attention when encountering school buses and around school zones .
Each year we regrettably see vehicles drive past stopped school buses when they are supposed to stop. This is a very dangerous practice and puts the lives of our children at risk. The fine for “fail to stop before approaching school bus with alternately flashing red lamps ” is $543 and 6 demerit points.
Most drivers are only told about the rules for passing a school bus with flashing red lights when they learn to drive – often many years ago. We would like to remind all drivers of school bus safety practices when school buses are stopped with their yellow or red lights flashing.
- When you see a school bus, assume children will be around and take extra care – leave lots of space around the bus.
- When the bus turns on the flashing yellow lights – this means it is about to stop to pick up kids. Slow down and prepare to stop.
- When the bus turns on the flashing red lights – this means STOP in BOTH directions. Never pass a school bus with flashing red lights in either direction. Stop well back from the bus. If you have any doubt what to do – stop.
School zones are another area where we’d like to remind drivers and students of safety tips and be aware of and watch out for children near schools, sidewalks, crossing streets and in school parking lots.
- Be on the lookout for school zone signals/signs and ALWAYS obey the posted speed limits
- Watch out for school crossing guards and obey their signals
- Be alert and aware, do not drive distracted.
Blackfalds RCMP always takes road safety seriously. Throughout the school year we will conduct concerted efforts in school zones and along bus routes. Let’s have a safe school year for everyone.
-Submitted by the Blackfalds RCMP