City council axes photo radar program

Citizens and those who drive through the city will no longer be receiving pesky photo radar tickets.

It was a program that was built in the name of safety, but ended up costing Lacombians over the past two years. Citizens and those who drive through the city will no longer be receiving pesky photo radar tickets.

During their meeting earlier this week, Lacombe City council moved to abolish the Automated Traffic Enforcement Program (ATEP), also known as photo radar.

ATEP was initiated in 2012 by council and began in October of 2013. The program was administered by an independent third party contractor, Independent Traffic Services Ltd.

Twenty-eight locations in the city were approved for enforcement, chosen for high pedestrian volumes, school zones, high collision areas and other locations that are frequent for speeders.

In November 2014 council approved the use of the ATEP for one further year, intending to review it for a second time in 2015. A total of 10,427 tickets were issued from November 2014 to November 2015, noting a drop of 101 tickets from the first year.

Although it was recommended by City administration, the Traffic Safety Committee and the Lacombe Police Commission for the program to continue, council based their decision on different considerations.

Councillor Wayne Armishaw said the program has affected thousands of people.

“We’ve had our time with this and it’s time to move on without the revenue,” he said.

Councillor Bill McQuesten echoed his statement and questioned if the program should proceed just because of the revenue it generates (an estimated $325,000 in the proposed 2016 budget).

“We are not seeing anyone drive slower because of this,” he said.

Councillor Peter Bouwsema, who sits on the Lacombe Police Commission, said he still sees merit in the program if it is adjusted.

Armishaw made the motion recommended by administration for council to approve the renewal of the program. The motion was defeated as three councillors, Councillor Reuben Konnik, Armishaw and McQuesten, were in opposition.

The program will be terminated effective Nov. 30th.

news@lacombeexpress.com

 

Just Posted

Thurber Raiders snatch season opener from the Lacombe Rams

Red Deer game saw 44-8 win for the Raiders

City crews clean up Lacombe yard

Loads of debris were taken out of the residence property on Sept. 21st

Wolf Creek Schools raises Treaty 6 flag for first time

Chiefs, school officials took part in a ceremony that is aimed at acknowledging Treaty 6 land

Lacombe Generals looking to capture Allan Cup on home ice

Generals returning key veterans in hopes avenging last years finals loss

Unsightly properties upcoming focus for Bylaw Enforcement

Clean up of long-standing, problematic properties will begin on Sept. 21

WATCH: AHS breaks ground on new Lacombe Community Health Centre

17,000 sq. ft. facility will bring existing Lacombe AHS services together

Suspect in Wetaskiwin trunk kidnapping arrested

Ponoka RCMP seek arrest warrants for suspects of armed robbery as well

Local filmmaker works on documentary featuring women farmers

Red Deer woman receives $50,000 grant from STORYHIVE to produce documentary

CATena offers glimpse into Central Alberta Theatre’s new season

Visitors can also check out Memorial Centre refurbishments

Fred Penner featured during special Symphony and Museum fundraiser

Event at Bo’s Bar & Grill set to run Sept. 28th

Steve Arsenault to perform at the Golden Circle Sept. 29th

Local singer/songwriter is also expanding his influence via teaching

On the run with Melissa Ray

Red Deer runner talks about her intense running experiences

Red Deer Rebels lose to Edmonton Oil Kings 4-1 at home opener

General Manager and Coach Brent Sutter said team ‘played hard’

Yowza! Twerk, emoji and facepalm are added to Scrabble dictionary, OK?

Merriam-Webster has announced 300 new words have been added to the spelling game

Most Read