5. Requests for Decision
5.1 Solid Waste System Review
Council received a report about the City of Lacombe Solid Waste Review, completed by Tetra Tech on March 30, 2020. Council subsequently approved a number of recommendations included in the review, and directed Administration to prepare for the following changes to the municipal solid waste system:
- Council directed Administration recommend a utility rate structure to Council that ensures all benefitting sectors share in the LRWSC solid waste requisition costs.
- Administration will advocate for the LRWSC to conduct an audit to review its revenue and expenses, identify existing fees charged to private haulers, and ascertain whether its financial and operations model should be modified from a per capita model to a weight-based model.
- Administration will also advocate for the LRWSC to permit diversionary credits for source-separated yard and garden waste.
- The City will maintain operations at the Wolf Creek Recycle Depot as outlined in the report; however, yard waste, grass and brush collection service will be eliminated.
- Council directed administration to update the Utility Bylaw to remove any references to curbside recycling, and to restrict commercial businesses from dumping yard and brush at the Wolf Creek Recycle Depot.
- Council approved the issuance of a request for proposals process for Wolf Creek Recycle Depot services and residential curbside pickup every four years, starting in 2021, to ensure the City is receiving fair market value for services and to provide an opportunity to re-evaluate the recycling market conditions.
- The City will review the Wolf Creek Recycle Depot cost sharing formula with Lacombe County prior to the next Intermunicipal Collaboration Framework update.
- Council will continue to advocate for provincial and national solutions to incentivize recycling at the municipal level.
- The City will continue with the current communal lane bin system, instituting roll-out bins only in areas where communal lane bins are not feasible.
- Council directed Administration to optimize the current garbage collection routes utilizing in-house forces starting in 2021.
*The next scheduled Council Meetings:
– June 22, 2020, at 5 p.m. (Regular)
– June 24, 2020, at 1 p.m. (Special Committee Meeting-In Camera)
-Submitted by the City of Lacombe