The case of a Lacombe resident accused of shooting a man during a hunting trip in 2009 has had further delays.
The trial for Herbert Meister, who is charged with criminal negligence using a firearm, unauthorized possession of a firearm and criminal negligence causing death, was expected to take place last week. Last Thursday, his lawyer Balfour Der, said Meister was expected to make a plea, but because of a change in the crown prosecutor’s office, more time was needed to ensure both himself and the new crown had all of the information needed to proceed. Crown Prosecutor Robin Snider was previously assigned the case, which has now been handed to Bina Border.
On Monday, a new date for resolution was set. The case will now be heard on Nov. 4th.
The hunting incident in which the charges stem from took place on Nov. 29th, 2009. At the time police said a group of four males from the Bentley and Lacombe area, were hunting deer on a heavily wooded field, about 13 kms northwest of Bentley. All four were hunting in different locations on the same property, which was owned by one of the hunters. RCMP said one of the shooters believed he saw a deer about 300 metres down a cut line and took a shot with a .308 calibre rifle.
Police said the hunter waited one minute, saw more movement and fired a second shot. At this time he heard a “very strange” noise and knew something was wrong, said RCMP. The hunter raced to the site to find his hunting partner suffering from a gunshot wound to the abdomen. First aid and CPR were performed by the shooter from instructions of a 911 dispatcher.