Harvey Weinstein. (Photo by The Associated Press)

Harvey Weinstein denies sexual assault allegations by Canadian woman

The actress from Toronto has asked the court to order Weinstein to pay $4 million

Harvey Weinstein has asked an Ontario court to dismiss a sexual assault lawsuit filed against him by a Toronto actress, arguing in court documents that he denies “each and every” one of the woman’s allegations.

The actress, who cannot be named, alleges the disgraced Hollywood producer performed oral sex on her without consent in 2000 and — in a subsequent meeting where she says she was expecting an apology — attempted to stick his tongue down her throat. None of the allegations in the lawsuit filed last year have been proven in court.

Weinstein filed a statement of defence in March disputing the actress’s claims.

“Mr. Weinstein denies that there was any sexual assault, sexual battery, harassment or infliction of mental injury or any other wrongful conduct against (the actress) as alleged,” his Canadian lawyers argued in the written documents.

“Mr. Weinstein therefore asks that this action be dismissed,” they add.

In her statement of claim, the actress asked the court to order Weinstein to pay $2 million in ”aggravated and punitive damages” and another $2 million in “general and special damages” for alleged sexual battery, intentional infliction of mental injury and civil conspiracy.

Weinstein countered in his defence that he ”denies that the plaintiff has sustained the injuries and damages alleged in the statement of claim.”

The damages are ”excessive and too remote,” his statement of defence added.

Weinstein also argued that the case should not be subject to a Canadian law that bans time limits for filing lawsuits over alleged sexual assaults and sexual misconduct in which the alleged perpetrator is in a position of trust or authority or the alleged victim is financially, emotionally, physically or otherwise dependent on the perpetrator.

Under Ontario law, a plaintiff generally has two years from the time of an alleged incident to sue someone, but legislation passed in 2016 abolished any time limitation for filing a lawsuit for a matter relating to sexual violence.

The actress said in her lawsuit that she had a small part in a movie being shot in Toronto by Weinstein’s then-company Miramax, and Disney, at the time of the alleged sexual assault.

She has named both companies, and a woman who worked as Weinstein’s assistant at the time, in her suit.

Weinstein, an Oscar-winning film producer, faces sexual harassment and sexual assault allegations from several women.

He was fired from the Weinstein Company – the film studio he co-founded with his brother in 2005 – in October 2017, days after the New York Times published a story detailing some of the allegations against him. Weinstein’s representative Sallie Hofmeister has said Weinstein denies all allegations of non-consensual sex.

Peter Goffin, The Canadian Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Lacombe selected as 2019 Canada Games Torch Relay stop

The MNP Canada Games Torch Relay is a significant element of the Canada Games

City of Lacombe Block Party program heats up for summer

City looks to create close-knit neighbourhoods

Red Deer Rustlers look to make mark in senior ‘AA’ hockey

Rustlers join league which includes Eckville, Sylvan Lake

Blackfalds suspect in custody after Rimbey home invasion

He is to attend Rimbey court June 1 along with a Ponoka resident

City of Lacombe recognized for contributions to recreation

Award handed out for extensive renovations to Gary Moe Auto Group Sportsplex

WATCH: Red Deer Citizen of the Year and Young Citizen of the Year announced

Terry Loewen and Gian Carlo Estoesta landed this year’s honours

Town of Stettler passes 2018 tax rate bylaw

Property tax notices to be mailed out by the end of May

Todd Pawsey to run for UCP nomination in Drumheller-Stettler riding

Pawsey will challenge Strankman, Horner to represent the party in the next provincial election

Toronto opening 800 emergency spaces to deal with influx of refugee claimants

Beginning Thursday, Toronto will temporarily house refugee claimants and new arrivals in 400 beds in the city’s east end.

Breaking: Trump cancels summit with North Korea

Trump cancels June 12 summit with North Korea’s Kim, citing ‘tremendous anger and open hostility’ in recent statement

Rivers rising: Floods in B.C., New Brunswick a warning of what’s to come

In B.C., thousands of residents are returning to homes this week marked with red or yellow signs indicating a health inspection is necessary

North Korea demolishes nuke test site with series of blasts

North Korea has carried out what it says is the demolition of its nuclear test site in the presence of foreign journalists.

Singh sides with B.C. in hornet’s nest of pipeline politics for the NDP

Singh had called for a more thorough environmental review process on the proposal

30 cm of snow expected for eastern Canada, in May

It might be hot in Alberta, but some of Canada still dealing with cold

Most Read