At their regular meeting on June 11, Council reviewed and adopted the final draft of the City of Lacombe 2018-2021 Strategic Plan, the premiere planning document for achieving Council’s stated vision.
“I am pleased to have been part of a team that put forward a plan that accurately reflects Council’s desire for the future direction of the community,” said Mayor Grant Creasey. “The plan prioritizes Council’s commitments to citizens, outlines our strategic goals and the key deliverables to be achieved over the next three years.”
Council has created its strategic planning goals around five Pillars of Sustainability: Governance, Culture, Social, Economy and Environment.
There are nine high priority commitments identified in the plan:
• Make the work of Council more accessible.
• Review the Land Use Bylaw with respect to subdivision and rezoning of larger lots, redevelopment fees, cost recovery, and enhanced services.
• Develop Key Performance Indicators for Council and Administration to measure and track success.
• Identify and consider alternative revenue sources.
• Review and set service levels for programs and services that the City provides.
• Increase the City’s commercial tax base.
• Increase public awareness of current retail options.
• Complete a Social Master Plan.
• Review how well existing public transportation is meeting demand and cost requirements
“The strategic plan will guide administrative efforts over Council’s term,” said Chief Administrative Officer Matthew Goudy. “We look forward to helping Council advance their strategic objectives in order to meet the needs and expectations of our residents, and to advance future growth and prosperity for our region.”
As part of the strategic planning process, Council also reviewed and updated its vision and mission statements to ensure that they reflected the City’s desired future.
A community’s vision provides a long‐term picture of where or what the community wishes to be or become.
Council’s revised vision statement now reads: “Growing from our historic roots, the city of Lacombe is a vibrant, thriving and welcoming community.”
Council’s mission statement was created based on key ideas on how to achieve the City’s vision.
It reads: “Lacombe innovates; challenging ourselves and others to support a vibrant, verdant, intergenerational city of choice.”
Following adoption by Council, the final draft of the 2018–2021 Strategic Plan will go through a graphic design process, to make the document portable, attractive, and ready for public distribution.
It be updated annually, and Council will receive quarterly reporting on action towards strategic goals, as well as forecasts regarding future milestones.
Please go to the June 11, 2018, Council Meeting Agenda webpage to access the final draft of the 2018–2021 Strategic Plan.
-Submitted by the City of Lacombe