QUICK RESPONSE - A firefighter struggles to re-connect a link of fire hose after reports of a residential fire last week.

QUICK RESPONSE - A firefighter struggles to re-connect a link of fire hose after reports of a residential fire last week.

Lacombe fire department responds to fire in local residence

Lacombe fire department responded to a house fire at 5132 - 48 St. on May 10.

  • May. 16, 2013 12:00 p.m.

Lacombe fire department responded to a house fire at 5132 – 48 St. on May 10.

The fire was in the kitchen of a duplex home and started when cooking oil on the kitchen’s stovetop ignited.

Fire crews arrived on scene and quickly gained control of the blaze using water and ventilation.

Firefighters faced a few minor difficulties when hooking up to fire hydrants and pumping water, but were still able contain the fire to the kitchen of the home.

Chief Ed van Delden said that the quick action of the City’s fire department kept the flame damage of the fire contained to the kitchen.

However, van Delden also said that water and smoke damage existed throughout the dwelling and combined damage was estimated at $100,000.

The family residing in the home did not wish to comment at the time of the fire, but one of the occupants did say the residence had been evacuated prior to crews arriving on scene and that everyone had made it out safely.

Victim Services and Red Deer Canadian Red Cross are working with the family of eight to make sure their immediate needs are looked after for the next few days.

news@lacombeexpress.com