(Advocate file photo)

Lacombe man to apply to withdraw manslaughter guilty plea

Tyler John Campbell wants to change plea after judge rejected seven-year sentence

A Lacombe man plans to ask a judge to let him withdraw his guilty plea to manslaughter in connection with a December 2019 homicide.

Defence lawyer Rod Clark said Tyler John Campbell, 28, wants to make an application to Red Deer provincial court Judge Jim Hunter to have his guilty plea vacated.

Campbell pleaded guilty to manslaughter last November for shooting Ponoka’s Jeffery Kraft, 20, on Dec. 15, 2019 on a rural road just outside Lacombe.

The Crown prosector and Campbell’s defence lawyer then, Michael Scrase, made a joint submission for a seven-year sentence for Campbell.

However, Hunter twice rejected the joint submission earlier this year. In March, the judge said the sentence could be seen as “unhinged from the facts” and lead to a breakdown and loss of confidence in the administration of the courts.

Clark told Red Deer provincial court Judge Gordon Yake on Monday that it is expected to take a full day to make submissions to Hunter. Campbell’s case returns to court on Friday to set a date for the hearing before Hunter. Campbell remains in custody.



News tips

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter