N.L. officials warn of potential fines in response to crowded bar photos

N.L. officials warn of potential fines in response to crowded bar photos

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. — Public health officials are warning of potential fines for skirting public health orders as images from a St. John’s bar overflowing with patrons on the weekend draw criticism on social media.

Photos shared widely online Monday show dozens of people crowded outside and on the balconies of popular George Street bars The Rob Roy and Konfusion, and another shows people packed close together on a dance floor.

The provincial Department of Health responded with a statement expressing concern about the scenes captured on the downtown bar strip known for attracting big crowds on weekends.

The department said chief medical officer of health Dr. Janice Fitzgerald would meet public health and other officials Monday afternoon to “determine next steps.”

Bars and lounges are currently allowed to open in the province with reduced capacity, if physical distancing can be maintained.

In its statement, the department pointed to the possibility of fines ranging from $5,000 to $50,000 for businesses that fail to comply with public health orders.

“There is a responsibility on both owners and patrons who choose to go to nightclub establishments to follow public health guidelines,” the statement read.

Premier Dwight Ball said he was disappointed to see the photos after working with businesses to reopen responsibly during tough economic times.

“Some of the images that I saw over this weekend (were) not something that illustrates to me that people were making responsible decisions,” Ball told reporters after an event in Springdale, N.L.

He said public health measures have been put in place for everyone’s safety, not “so that you can go and have a party somewhere.”

NDP legislator Jim Dinn, whose district includes the George Street area, said the images speak to the need for continued, strong communication about why public health rules are necessary.

“It’s horrified an awful lot of people,” Dinn said by phone.

He said residents and businesses need to be reminded of the risks of spreading the virus now that the first wave of the pandemic has passed in the Atlantic province.

Newfoundland and Labrador currently has no known cases of COVID-19, and restrictions on businesses and social activities have been gradually lifted over the past month.

Last week, the province loosened its strict border closure to allow visitors from other Atlantic provinces. The premier has said the rest of Canada could soon be welcomed to visit the province if all goes well.

Dinn said clarity is needed on how these visitors will be monitored, adding that a potential COVID-19 cluster from a bar or nightclub would be a challenge for contact tracers.

That scenario has emerged around the world as countries continue to battle the highly infectious virus.

A cluster of more than 100 COVID-19 cases in South Korea that emerged in May was linked to a man who visited five nightclubs and bars in a night before testing positive for the virus.

Similar stories have come out of the United States in recent weeks, leading some authorities to order the indoor portion of bars closed.

In East Lansing, Michigan, an outbreak tied to a pub near Michigan State University spread to nearly 140 people.

The country’s top infectious disease doctor told a Senate panel last week that Americans should stop gathering at bars given the risks.

“Congregation at a bar, inside, is bad news,” Dr. Anthony Fauci said. “We really have got to stop that.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 6, 2020.

— With files from The Associated Press

Holly McKenzie-Sutter, The Canadian Press

Newfoundland

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Alberta chief medical officer of health Dr. Deena Hinshaw updates media on the Covid-19 situation in Edmonton on Friday March 20, 2020. nbsp;Alberta is reporting it's highest daily number of COVID-19 cases, with 364 new infections. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
Alberta confirmed 323 COVID-19 cases Tuesday

Central zone active cases at 145

The Lacombe Generals celebrate a goal in Game 4 of their five-game series against the Daysland Northstars, Feb. 8, 2020. (File Photo)
Lacombe General, North Central Hockey League cancels upcoming season

Due to COVID-19 concerns, the senior AA league will resume in 2021

Health Minister Tyler Shandro and Dr. Deena Hinshaw, the chief medical officer of health, receive flu shot. Photo via Government of Alberta
COVID-19: One more death in central zone

Ponoka County on province’s watchlist

Many rural municipalities were concerned about a proposed reduction to their industrial revenues, but Alberta’s Municipal Affairs minister has come up with an alternative solution. (Photo contributed)
Province and rural municipalities agree on a plan to support Alberta’s energy industry

Creating new wells or pipelines would result in a three year ‘tax holiday’

East Central Express also offers wedding or event shuttle services and tours of the Rocky Mountains. Photo courtesy of East Central Express.
On-demand bus service will now stop in Lacombe

As the winter months arrive, Rob Duncan expects demand for his bus and taxi services to grow

Conservative member of Parliament Pierre Poilievre speaks during a press conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on October 19, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Liberals say Tory effort to set up COVID-19 committee will be a confidence matter

The Tories were originally proposing an ‘anticorruption’ committee

Alberta Premier Jason Kenny and government house leader Jason Nixon chat before the speech from the throne delivered in Edmonton, Alta., on Tuesday, May 21, 2019. Alberta politicians are to return to the legislature Tuesday with a plan to discuss up to 20 new bills — many of which are focused on the province’s economic recovery. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
Alberta legislature to resume Tuesday; focus to be on economic recovery

Opposition house leader Heather Sweet said the NDP will focus on holding Premier Jason Kenney

A passer-by walks past a COVID-19 testing clinic in Montreal, Friday, Oct. 16, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Canada ‘yet to see’ deaths due to recent COVID surge as cases hit 200,000

Much of the increase in case numbers can be attributed to Ontario and Quebec

robbery
UPDATE: Suspect identified in early morning shooting

Rimbey RCMP had responded to a complaint of an armed robbery at the Bluffton City General Store

Executive Director of Agape Kate Halas (left) receives $1000 from Sgt. Eric Christensen (right) on behalf of Agape. Photo/ Shaela Dansereau.
Former Wetaskiwin Peace Officer wins provincial award; gives back to Wetaskiwin community

Eric Christensen has won the Alberta Association of Community Peace Officers Award of Excellence.

Agriculture Minister Devin Dreeshen (Alberta government photo)
Big boost for Alberta college agriculture research

The $2-million agreement to benefit Lethbridge College’s applied research team

Grant and Barbara Howse, in quarantine in Invermere. Mike Turner photo
Denied entry into U.S., Canadian couple still forced to quarantine for 2 weeks

The rules around crossing the U.S. border led to a bizarre situation for an Invermere couple

Employee Sophia Lovink shows off a bag of merchandise in Toronto on Thursday, June 11, 2020. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette)
Canada gets C-average grade on 2nd year of cannabis legalization

Cannabis Council of Canada releases report card on federal government and legalization

Canadian and American flags fly near the Ambassador Bridge at the Canada-USA border crossing in Windsor, Ont. on Saturday, March 21, 2020. Restrictions on non-essential travel between Canada and the United States are being extended until at least Nov. 21. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Rob Gurdebeke
Non-essential travel restrictions at Canada-U.S. border extended to at least Nov. 21

The restrictions do not apply to those providing essential services in either country

Most Read