Precautions to reduce risk of Hantavirus

As spring cleaning season begins, Alberta Health Services is reminding Albertans to take simple steps to protect themselves from Hantavirus.

  • Apr. 23, 2015 8:00 a.m.

As spring cleaning season begins, Alberta Health Services (AHS) is reminding Albertans to take simple steps to protect themselves from Hantavirus.

Hantavirus — a potentially fatal illness that primarily affects the lungs and respiratory system — is caused when humans inhale particles of urine or feces from an infected rodent, which become airborne when disturbed. As such, anyone who disturbs areas of mice or mice droppings can be at risk.

To protect yourself and greatly reduce your risk of illness, follow these precautions whenever cleaning areas of mice or mice droppings:

– Open doors and windows for ventilation, and keep out of the area for at least 30 minutes prior to commencing clean up.

– Wearing rubber gloves, thoroughly soak droppings, nests and dead mice with a bleach and water solution (one part bleach to nine parts water) or a household disinfectant.

– Let the bleach water solution sit for five minutes.

– Never disturb any droppings, nests or dead mice, prior to soaking with this bleach solution.

– Mop up bleach-soaked droppings, nest and/or dead mice, or pick up with paper towels, and place them in a plastic bag.

– Seal the bag and put in a garbage container with a tight fitting lid.

– Wash your gloves before removing, and then wash your hands.

– Never vacuum or sweep droppings, nests or dead mice. This can create dust that can be inhaled. The dust may contain Hantavirus.

If dealing with significant mouse infestations or with mouse infestations in enclosed spaces with poor ventilation, contact Health Link Alberta (1-866-408-5465) to discuss necessary precautions.

Although rare, Hantavirus can be fatal. Infected individuals typically show symptoms one to two weeks following exposure; however, symptoms can appear up to five weeks after exposure. Symptoms resemble severe flu, including fever, body aches, chills, abdominal problems and severe breathing problems.

Any Albertan who has recently been in an area contaminated by mice and subsequently develops severe flu-like symptoms or difficulty breathing should see a doctor immediately.

 

Just Posted

Gord Bamford Charity Golf Classic launches into its second decade

The Gord Bamford Foundation is continuing to support youth supporting charities

Lacombe Corn Maze celebrates CFR 45

Kraay Family Farm opens July 20th

Bucs’ continue to power through AFL

67-0 win over Grand Prairie pushes Bucs’ towards showdown with Ft. Mac

Lacombe County to hold cannabis public meetings

Cannabis in Your Community meetings is aimed to encourage an open, respectful community dialogue

Innisfail-Sylvan Lake elects its new MLA

The by-election was held in the riding on July 12

WATCH: Lacombe Community Market selling local all summer

Wednesday Market coincides with Music in the Park

Winners, losers from the federal cabinet shuffle

Here’s who will be entrusted with leading the Liberal team into next year’s election

Price no guarantee for safety with horse riding helmets: new report

A Swedish insurance report reveals that many brands of equestrian helmets do not protect riders as well as they could.

Red Deer RCMP investigate $26,000 tool theft

Suspects seen heading north toward Queen’s Industrial Park

Innisfail RCMP seize eight dogs from hotel room following earlier arrest

Dogs were in distress and taken to an animal rescue organization

VIDEO: Toronto Raptors send DeMar DeRozan to Spurs in colossal NBA trade

Toronto also sent Jakob Poeltl and 2019 first-round pick, gets Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green

Wetaskiwin man facing charges after allegedly impersonating war veteran

Wetaskiwin RCMP lay charges for unlawful use of military uniforms/certificates

WATCH: 2018 Westerner Days Parade brings 1000s to downtown Red Deer

The parade begins five days of western fun and culture in Central Alberta

Kitten OK after being rescued from underground pipe in B.C.

An adventurous feline has been rescued after getting trapped in an underground pipe in Kamloops, B.C.

Most Read