Government assistance the key to CFL staging abbreviated 2020 season

Government assistance the key to CFL staging abbreviated 2020 season

TORONTO — As the CFL and CFL Players’ Association continue discussing amending their collective bargaining agreement to allow for a shortened season, government funding remains key to football being played in 2020.

And while Canadian Heritage Minister Steven Guilbeault suggested Wednesday in the House of Commons there was no CFL-specific financial aid coming from Ottawa — before clarifying his statement on social media — a source reiterated the league’s latest funding request lies with existing government programs and funding streams.

Earlier this month, the CFL submitted a revised financial request to Ottawa for roughly $42.5 million in aid. In April, it asked the federal government for up to $150 million in assistance in the event of a cancelled 2020 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

But another source said following the CFL’s initial specific-funding request, it was directed by Ottawa to investigate other existing programs. In June, CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie spoke before an Ontario committee on finance. He is also a co-chair of the Professional Sport Council established by Ontario sports minister Lisa MacLeod.

The sources were granted anonymity as neither the CFL nor government have indicated details of their financial assistance discussions.

The CFL’s latest request will most likely require co-operation from the six provinces its franchises operate within. That’s because Ottawa is dealing with the league’s offer via the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC), which is a federal agency but also a crown corporation, meaning the federal government can’t mandate financial assistance for the CFL.

The BDC is essentially a bank with lending criteria and the CFL is unlikely to qualify given its current financial state — Ambrosie has stated the league lost collectively upwards of $20 million last season. To secure financial assistance — essentially a loan — the league would likely require the Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and B.C. governments to provide some kind of guarantee on any aid, something a source said Ottawa is trying to help facilitate.

But that could be an issue for Ontario, which has three league franchises — Toronto, Hamilton and Ottawa. MacLeod has stated no CFL-specific funding is on the table and there are many other sectors within the province also requiring assistance.

But while Ontario is playing hardball in terms of financially supporting the CFL in 2020, the five other provinces haven’t made similar statements. And if a scenario exists where Ontario is the lone dissenter, provincial/federal negotiations could help make the loan terms more palatable.

On Wednesday, MP Kevin Waugh (PC, Saskatoon-Grasswood) asked Guilbeault in the House of Commons if the $42.5 million in government assistance for the CFL was forthcoming. The Heritage minister didn’t come out and say no directly, but stopped well short of guaranteeing the financial aid.

“We understand that for many Canadians, professional sport is a facet of their daily life and we certainly respect that,” he said. “Through Sport Canada, our government funds amateur and youth programs across the country.

“Sport Canada does not provide funding for profit-independent leagues or those outside of Football Canada’s mandate. We encourage organizations in need of assistance to talk to their financial institution and to see what options are available to them.”

That prompted Waugh, a former sports journalist, to quip: “So I take it then, Mr. chair, the answer would be no to the Canadian Football League?”

Later, Guilbeault tweeted: “That would be wrong since we are in fact in discussion with the #CFL.”

The CFL and CFLPA continue to negotiate amendments to their collective bargaining agreement that would allow for a shortened season. Prior to the start of talks last month, the league was reported to have set a deadline of Thursday to adopt health-and-safety protocols, secure acceptable federal funding and agree to terms on an extension of the CBA past its present 2021 expiry date. However, the deadline is now set for Friday.

Ambrosie has stated the earliest an abbreviated campaign would begin is September but that a cancelled season also remains possible.

On Tuesday, the CFL announced Winnipeg would be its hub city if a 2020 season were to be held, pending final approval from Manitoba public health and safety officials. While that step, along with an amended CBA, are necessary for an abbreviated season to begin, the harsh reality is government assistance is critical for the league to get on the field this year.

The new request covers operating costs and player salaries for a shortened campaign. It also includes a letter of support from the CFLPA.

If the CFL can put itself in position to stage a partial season, that would leave government as the lone remaining hurdle to football being played. Essentially, the league must first show the provinces it’s able to return to play safely and give them a solid reason to extend any guarantees for funding.

The CFL’s naming of Winnipeg as its hub and ongoing CBA talks — which are tentatively scheduled to conclude Thursday — are integral parts of securing funding. That’s because the costs associated with both must be fixed as part of the application process.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 22, 2020.

Dan Ralph, The Canadian Press

CFL

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

The event was hosted by Darcy Stingel with audio and video support provided by Airace Productions. (Alannah Page/Lacombe Express)
Lacombe Business and Community Awards celebrates local resiliency

The awards held Saturday night were streamed by roughly 100 people across the city

Lacombe’s Got Talent hosted the finale at Lacombe’s Performing Arts Centre on Sunday Oct. 25. (Alannah Page/Lacombe Express)
Lacombe’s Got Talent: Finale showcased a wide variety of local artists

Organizers are hoping to have the local talent show become a regular event in the future.

Alberta’s chief medical officer of health, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, confirmed more than 1,000 cases over the weekend Monday afternoon. File photo
COVID-19: Central zone active cases up Monday

‘We’ve now crossed the tipping point,’ says Hinshaw

Ryen Williams, 11, with a lost miniature horse at JJ Collett Oct. 23. Photo by Don Williams
UPDATE: Owner found

Father and son found miniature horse while out for a walk at JJ Collett

Alberta has 3,651 active cases of COVID-19. (File photo)
432 new COVID cases sets another record Friday

Central zone holds steady at 126 active cases

B.C. Liberal leader Andrew Wilkinson, B.C. NDP leader John Horgan and B.C. Greens leader Sonia Furstenau. (Black Press Media)
VIDEO: One day until B.C. voters go to the polls in snap election defined by pandemic

NDP Leader John Horgan’s decision to call an election comes more than a year ahead of schedule and during a pandemic

The Williams Lake Indian Band is stipulating no-go zones for mushroom picking in areas burned by last summer’s wildfires. 100 Mile Free Press photo
Who controls mushroom harvesting on Indigenous lands?

‘We don’t necessarily know where the mushrooms grow, how old the stands need to be, those types of things.’

Canadian and American flags fly near the Ambassador Bridge at the Canada/USA border crossing in Windsor, Ont. on Saturday, March 21, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Rob Gurdebeke
U.S. election results one factor that could impact immigration to Canada next year

The survey polled 1,523 Canadians between Oct. 23 and Oct. 25

Alberta’s provincial flag flies on a flag pole in Ottawa, Monday July 6, 2020. The Alberta government is hoping to get more Albertans employed by moving to limit the number and type of temporary foreign workers it allows into the province. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Alberta to limit temporary foreign worker program to save jobs for Albertans

Temporary foreign workers already in the province won’t be affected

(Emily Jaycox/Bashaw Star)
Wreath laying ceremony held in Manfred, Alta.

Ceremony marks 64th anniversary of Hungarian revolution, honours settlers

Royal Alexandra Hospital front-line workers walk a picket line after walking off the job in a wildcat strike in Edmonton, on Monday, October 26, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
Alberta labour board orders health-care staff who walked off the job to go back to work

Finance Minister Travis Toews said in a news release that he was pleased with the labour board’s decision

Wetaskiwin Hospital staff join AUPE walk outs across the province Monday Oct. 26, 2020. Shaela Dansereau/ The Pipestone Flyer.
City of Wetaskiwin health-care workers strike in protest of province-wide cuts

Wetaskiwin Hospital staff join other front line hospital workers across the province in walk-outs.

Front-line hospital workers have walked off the job at the Rimbey Hospital, and across the province. Photo Submitted
Front-line health care workers on strike across the province, including Rimbey Hospital

The strike is due to cut of 11,000 health care jobs in the province, according to AUPE

The death of 19-year-old Jacob Michael Chitze of Edmonton has now been ruled a homicide following an ongoing RCMP investigation.
UPDATE: RCMP arrest youth for second degree murder of 19-year-old Jacob Chitze

Arrest made for the murder of Jacob Michael Chitze, 19.

Most Read